Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Karmicly Speaking....

Just what the fuck is going on?

I really don't get it. Generally speaking i've always had it where if good luck or fortune comes my way... Equally bad luck or fortune soon follows.

The swing this time has been waaaaaaay out of proportion though.... and quite frankly... it sucks.

I hate it when nothing goes right... Ultimately i'm not and have never been a quitter... but damn... This time it's too much. Blow by blow.... one thing after the other.... can't seem to catch a break.

Anyways, not going into the b.s, I've been focusing working on the new album, and looking around at production jobs... something which i have slacked at and consequently, have more or less zero work in that department now as a result of that. Is it me? or the industry has gone belly up? It never used to be THIS hard to land a decent paying job scoring or doing production work.... i guess it doesn't help that every other bus boy around is a friggen composer with a digital home studio setup.....

Admittedly it is my fault too: i simply don't network or sell myself much (ie.whoring), and as such my name has fallen from the face of the earth because of that. Problem is that here in Cairo it's impossible to get my name out and about state side since you really do have to be there to get around and get the proverbial foot through the door. Someone suggested that i try my hand at work here..... ultimately that's not going to happen......... i don't see anyone paying me $30,000 to do a film score here.... so that's a waste of time.... And the last scoring job here i did, i ended up not getting any money, or anything from it... aside from a soundtrack of music which is completely all over the shop.

I've had a few ideas zip in and out of my head, which i'm going to give allot of thought over in the next few weeks. One was to start a Label, Another was a real bonafide production company... things which will ultimately grow as businesses which eventually won't need much from me but will make good money. The label is an interesting one because as i see it, there aren't any labels here in Cairo for young & up coming talent, whom are able to get the music produced to a high standard, and then get it selling internationally, like on Itunes and whatnot... and i could do that.

Ultimately it'd be allot of work, and i don't know what the success rate of something like that would be. It's definately something worth mulling over though. I'd have to start attending more gigs around Cairo and see what the talent is like these days.....

I've been noodling on the zentar abit more... i've had to tweak around more with the tuning... since the G string tuned to G was way too high timbre wise (and playing wise was way too tense). I dropped it down a fourth (or if you look at it the other way a 5th!) to D... sounds better and i can play abit more microtonal on it now. I just ripped the Maqams made easy CD (with the new external cd burner i bought for my netbook!) & will start working on getting those under my fingers and in my ears. I'm toying allot with the idea of an Oud to be honest. As much as i love the idea of the zentar... the steel strings and general design just don't work in the sense of getting the right timbre and tonality... it might be just me not being used to playing out of tune on a guitar (after years and years of working on being in tune!) or maybe it's just the feel of the instrument.

My minds all over the place at the moment... I'm going to finish my coffee and go back to work on my album.

For now.... well.... Bugger off!

No comments: